Connect with us

News

Novak Djokovic returns to court after disastrous Adria Tour – which led to spate of coronavirus cases including him and his wife – as world No 1 trains with Grand Slams on horizon

Published

on

-Novak Djokovic tested positive for coronavirus in June and issued a statement

-The notorious anti-vaxxer said he was ‘deeply sorry for harm caused’

-Now the World No 1 has returned to the courts alongside Filip Krajinovic

Novak Djokovic has returned to the tennis courts following his recovery from coronavirus.

The Serbian icon has been regaining health after returning a positive Covid-19 test in June, and is now stepping up his training.

Novak Djokovic returns to court after disastrous Adria Tour - which led to spate of coronavirus cases including him and his wife - as world No 1 trains with Grand Slams on horizon

Taking to the practice courts at his own Novak Tennis Centre in Belgrade, Djokovic was put through his paces.

Djokovic was pictured at the Novak Tennis Centre in Belgrade along with Filip Krajinovic

Djokovic was pictured at the Novak Tennis Centre in Belgrade along with Filip Krajinovic

Uploading to social media, the head coach at the centre, Boris Bosnjakovic, shared photos and footage of the Serbian’s training session with his online followers.

Djokovic worked alongside fellow pro Filip Krajinovic, looking sharp and in good health.

Last month Djokovic had issued an apology for the conduct of his Adria Tour fiasco after becoming a victim himself by testing positive for coronavirus.

The world No 1, who organised the event, where social distancing was widely ignored, softened an earlier statement in which he had shown little remorse for what transpired.

‘I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm,’ said Djokovic, who does not have symptoms. ‘Everything the organisers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions.

‘We believed that the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good condition to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons.

‘We were wrong and it was too soon. I can’t express how sorry I am for this and every case of infection.’

Among the images which emerged from the events in Serbia and Croatia were those of him and other players dancing half-naked together in a Belgrade nightclub.

Djokovic also confirmed that his wife Jelena had herself tested positive and said the pair would remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days which followed.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Wike signs Executive Order proscribing IPOB in Rivers

Published

on

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers has signed an executive order to reinforce the ban on the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) and its activities in the State.

He made this known in a statement by Mr Kelvin Ebiri, Special Assistant (Media) to the Governor.

Ebiri stated that the governor, in a broadcast on Wednesday night in Port Harcourt, maintained that Rivers remains the home to all tribes and ethnic nationalities.

He said that the government acknowledges and appreciates the enormous contributions from non-indigenes to the political, social and economic development of the State.

According to the statement, the State Government will neither accept nor allow any individual or group from within and outside to violate the peace, endanger lives and property under any guise.

It stated “the State government is opposed to the presence and activities of the legally-proscribed and anarchic IPOB and whatever it stands for in Rivers State.

“And so, let it be understood that we have nothing against all or any specific tribe and will continue to live in peace with people of all other tribal extractions residing or doing business in Rivers State.

“But we have everything against the presence and activities of the legally-proscribed IPOB and whatever that group stands for in Rivers State,” the governor warned.

This is clearly a terrorist group which existence, creed, mission and activities are strongly denounced even by the Government and peoples of South-Eastern States of the country.

“I have, therefore, signed the executive order to reinforce the total ban on IPOB and its activities in Rivers State or any part thereof and nothing will stop us from enforcing this ban in its entirety,’’ he said.

The statement also added that Wike also “directed security agencies and the Chairmen of Local Government Areas to fish out and resolutely deal with any member of IPOB found in any community following the executive order and other legal instruments’’.

The governor also announced the lifting of existing curfew on Mile 1; Mile 2; Iloabuchi; Emenike; and Ikokwu areas of Port Harcourt as well as Rumukurushi in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area.

He, however, said that the curfew in Oyigbo Local Government Area will remain in force until further notice while the entire Ikokwu motor spare parts market will remain closed until further notice

In the quest to restore sanity and enhance free traffic flow in roads in the State, the governor said he will constitute a task force to enforce the ban on illegal street trading and the emergence of motor parks along public roads.

He also stated that, in the interim, he has approved the ban on the operations of tricycles, also known as `Keke NAPEP’, on all major roads in Port Harcourt and Obio/Akpor Local Government Areas.

The major roads are Aggrey road; Dame Patience Jonathan road; Eastern Bypass road; Ikwerre road; Aba road; Agip road; Ada George road; Olu Obasanjo road; Rumuokwuta – Rumuola road; and Rumuepirikom – Rumuolumeni (leading to Ignatius Ajuru University of Education) road.

Others are: Rumuokwuta – Choba road; Chief G.U. Eke road; Peter Odili road; Ken Saro-Wiwa road; Nkpogu road; Trans-Amadi road; Elekahia – Rumuomasi road; Yakubu Gowon road; and Woji – Elelenwo road.

Wike also directed the State Civil Service Commission to take immediate steps to employ 5,000 youths into teaching and other career positions in the State’s Civil Service.

He said such steps should be taken as an immediate measure to reduce the level of youth unemployment.

Continue Reading

Trending