Connect with us

News

Novak Djokovic: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and I will be overcome

Published

on

Following a poll conducted by Eurosport in recent days, Novak Djokovic has been elected as the greatest player of the Open Era. The World number 1, which pocketed the beauty of 17 Slam and which boasts a favorable record against both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, was unbeaten in 2020 before the ATP tour was suspended due to the pandemic.

 

The Serbian champion could have overtaken the Swiss as a number of weeks at the top of the ranking this year, but the freezing of the rankings forced him to postpone this goal until at least 2021. Recently, Nole has expressed all her perplexity regarding the protocols advanced by the USTA to allow the US Open to take place at the end of August.

Novak-Djokovic-Five-High

“I am grateful and honored that almost a million people participated in the survey and that people look at me that way. On the other hand, I could not say anything more than that, it is a debate that has been going on for some time, especially between Federer, Nadal, and me,” Novak Djokovic told Sport Klub.

“That will probably continue in the coming decades until an even better tennis player comes along. It’s a natural flow in sports and it’s good for tennis. The three of us who have won the biggest number of Grand Slams of all tennis players ever and have spent the most weeks as World No 1 on the ranking list – these are historical things and facts that satisfy and motivate me,” he added.

Novak and Federer

“I want to overtake both Sampras and Federer. I said that before, that is one of my biggest goals on that historical ranking list, to try to win as many Grand Slams as possible,” Djokovic concluded. The Serbian player is the youngest of the Big 3, as well as having managed to win Wimbledon 2019 and the Australian Open 2020 when he seemed one step away from defeat.

Djokovic and Nadal

Unforgettable the two match points canceled at Federer in the Championships final, an event that could become a watershed to decree the GOAT at the end of their careers. Last month, in an interview for the programme ‘In Depth with Graham Bensinger’, Djokovic was asked how confident he was that he would have both records.

And the 33-year-old said his self-belief meant he would always back himself. “I’m always very confident in myself. I think confidence is derived from self-belief and self-belief is derived from clarity,” Djokovic replied.

News

End SARS: Details of Ooni’s meeting with Obasanjo emerge

Published

on

Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, the Ooni of Ife, on Monday hosted Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Nigeria’s former President, with an appeal to the End SARS protesters across Nigeria to retreat.

Ooni, while receiving Obasanjo at his Ile Oodua Palace, Ile-Ife, described the End SARS protests as a clear message by the Nigerian youth to the government.

He also urged the youths to give the government the chance to attend to their demands fully.

Daily Post Nigeria

The royal father said, “If you look at the End SARS protest, you’ll see that our youths have what it takes to rule the country.

“Since day one, they’ve shown leadership, accountability and a huge sense of responsibility which has sent a clear message to the government.

“Every day at 11:50 pm, they displayed their financial update, and to me, I am highly amazed by their sense of accountability.

“As a youth leader myself, I’m proud that we all have communicated our ideas, and it’s heartwarming that we’ve been heard.

“Dear youths, it’s time to retreat so as to prevent those with ulterior motives from hijacking the peaceful message of peace.

“The whole world is aware of our peaceful conduct, and we must not let some bad elements tarnish this enviable integrity.

“Once again, I wish to urge our youths to stop the protest, for now and give peace a chance. This will prevent the government from using force.”

Speaking earlier, NAN reports that Obasanjo described the EndSARS protest as the product of an extensive agitation by the Nigerian youth that needed to be attended to by the government.

He said: “More than 65 percent of our population are under the ages of 18 and 30; they aren’t only struggling to acquire education, they’re also aspiring for the best that life can offer them.

“Some of them did not even get educated, while those who are educated are getting frustrated because of lack of opportunities. We must realize that the lid on the boiling steam would’ve to be removed.

But, I believe that there are windows of opportunity which the government can explore to show that it cares about the people’s welfare, especially the youth, as the father of the country and particularly, as the father of the youth.

“Fortunately, the President has children, and he knows how youths behave.

“I believe that the opportunities can still be taken to let the youth know that he, as a father, understands their plight and that his government understands their plight and he’s ready to make life better for them.”

Continue Reading

Trending