Tennis fans are fuming at Novak Djokovic after he became the latest star to test positive for COVID-19 following his highly-controversial Adria tournament which took place in the midst of a global pandemic.
All official tennis events have been cancelled since early March because of the coronavirus outbreak.
Lockdown restrictions have been gradually eased in most countries and Djokovic felt that was acceptable to host his own exhibition event.
The world No 1 gathered some of Europe’s top stars, including Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev, to play a series of tournaments.
But catastrophe struck when Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric, who faced each other on Saturday, both tested positive.
Viktor Troicki has since also contracted the killer virus.
Djokovic, a self-proclaimed anti-vaxxer, flew straight home to Belgrade as the event was cancelled and underwent his own test.
The 17-time Grand Slam winner got a positive result, as did his wife Jelena, and fans are fuming with his “irresponsibility”.
Some even suggest the 31-year-old should be docked one of his prestigious tournament wins for putting so many people in danger.
“They should take a slam off Djokovic for this,” one fan wrote on Twitter.
A second added: “Wouldn’t wish this on anyone and I hope Djokovic has a speedy recovery – but holding a tennis tournament in the middle of a global pandemic which had zero social distancing rules is hugely irresponsible.”
While a third said: “Ppl couldn’t be more stupid. Djokovic tests positive for covid during a tournament that he organised, lots of ppl, kids.
“It’s not a surprise that others confirmed they had also contracted the virus given the total abandonment of any social distancing during the event.”
And another user commented: “So Djokovic has also tested positive for covid – unbelievable.
“Have they seen what it does to a person? Irresponsible is one word I can use. Boneheaded decision is apt as well.
“As a tennis player there are few better, but Djokovic has done some serious damage to his reputation away from the court during the pandemic.”
Djokovic apologised in a statement after his test result was made public.
The Serbian said: “We organised the tournament at the moment when the virus has weakened, believing that the conditions for hosting the Tour had been met.
“Unfortunately, this virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with. I am hoping things will ease with time so we can all resume lives the way they were.
“I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection. I hope that it will not complicate anyone’s health situation and that everyone will be fine.
“I will remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days, and repeat the test in five days.”