Connect with us

Sports

Rafael Nadal shares pictures while cooking for his wife, asking all to stay at home

Published

on

World no. 2 and the 19-time Major champion Rafael Nadal is spending the quarantine time at home in Mallorca with his wife, urging everyone to stay safe and follow the rules in these troubled times caused by a coronavirus. Due to a pandemic, the tennis season is halted at least until the second week of June, with slim chances to see the action on grass as well as the virus still refuses to slow down, especially in western Europe.

Nadal went to Indian Wells after claiming the title in Acapulco but couldn’t compete for the fourth title in the desert, with the organizers canceling the opening two Masters 1000 events of the season and sending the players back homes.

Rafa left Indian Wells some five days after he arrived, heading back home to Porto Cristo in Mallorca and working on physical exercises while taking care of his Academy and all the students and staff. Just six weeks after the victorious Davis Cup Finals last November, Nadal led Spain at the inaugural ATP Cup in early January and scored wins over Nikoloz Basilashvili, Pablo Cuevas and Yoshihito Nishioka, pushing his country into the quarters together with Roberto Bautista Agut.

Rafa cooks

Facing the first serious challenge, Rafa suffered a 6-4, 7-6 loss to David Goffin after grueling two hours and 23 minutes, bouncing back in the doubles clash to keep Spain alive in the competition. In the semis, Nadal battled past Alex de Minaur after another marathon to propel his country into the final where he stood no chance against Novak Djokovic who beat him 6-2, 7-6, missing the opportunity to conquer another team event when Djokovic and Troicki defeated Spain in the deciding doubles encounter.

Chasing the first Australian Open title since 2009, Nadal ousted Hugo Dellien, Federico Delbonis, Pablo Carreno Busta and Nick Kyrgios after an intense battle to reach the quarter-final, standing one victory away from keeping the no.

1 spot ahead of Djokovic regardless of future results. Nonetheless, inspired Dominic Thiem toppled Rafa in four epic sets after four hours and ten minutes, standing strong in three tie breaks and allowing Novak Djokovic to become world no 1.

again after beating the Austrian in five challenging sets in the final. After Melbourne, Nadal had to stay on the road for a week, opening Rafa Nadal Academy in Kuwait on February 5 and playing against Roger Federer in Cape Town two days later in front of the record-breaking crowd of 52,000, heading back home to Mallorca before conquering the 85th title in Acapulco, his last event on the Tour so far.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Novak Djokovic says he regrets his failure to win at the US Open or Roland Garros

Published

on

“The US Open disqualification notwithstanding, I have only lost one match all season and I’ve played some of the best tennis of my life”

Novak Djokovic says he regrets the failure to win either the US or French Opens, despite playing some of the best tennis of his life in 2020.

Having won an eighth Australian Open in January, Djokovic was disqualified at the US Open after inadvertently hitting a line judge in the neck with a petulant swipe of the ball during his fourth-round clash with Pablo Carreno Busta.

He was then blown away by world No 2 Rafael Nadal in the final of the re-arranged French Open in October.

Djokovic remains on 17 Grand Slam titles while Nadal and Federer are on 20 each after the Spaniard clinched a record-extending 13th Roland Garros title.

“There is a lingering regret that I didn’t win either the US Open or the Roland Garros this year,” Djokovic told reporters at his tennis academy in downtown Belgrade by the Danube river.

“I was in outstanding form at both events but having reached the French Open final, I was beaten by a player who was much better on the day.

“I was below par and that’s it. As far as the US Open is concerned, I got myself into an unfortunate situation and was disqualified, but I won several other big tournaments.

“The US Open disqualification notwithstanding, I have only lost one match all season and I’ve played some of the best tennis of my life.”

Djokovic dismissed suggestions he was under intense pressure to overhaul Nadal and Federer in their three-way race to become the greatest male player of all time.

“Pressure has been a part of my life for a long time and I’ve learned how to deal with it,” he said.

“It comes with the territory if you are a top-level athlete and it can also galvanise you. You take physical and mental knocks along the way but it’s all part of the learning curve.

“If I retired now I’d be happy with everything I have achieved but I still enjoy competing and every tournament I enter gives me so much motivation and joy.”

Continue Reading

Trending