PARIS (AFP) – Novak Djokovic believes the tennis season will restart with a series of regional tournaments because of the complexities of easing coronavirus restrictions worldwide that would allow players to travel.
The ATP and WTA Tours were suspended last month and will not resume until mid-July at the earliest following the postponement of Roland Garros and the cancellation of Wimbledon.
“I think there will be more regional prize money tournaments. I think this is what’s going to happen very soon,” Djokovic said on Tuesday (April 21) during an Instagram live chat with Fabio Fognini.
“I don’t have the foggiest idea about what will occur with isolate. Spain, Italy, and the various nations on the planet will presumably have various models (to come out of it).”
“It will be hard to begin the visit in light of the fact that our visit is each week in various nations,” he included.
“So I think there will be local prize cash competitions, yet most likely not (rankings) focuses right now since it’s muddled.”
Fognini, the world No. 11 from Italy, said it would be “extremely intense” to play again this season.
“You (Djokovic) originating from Serbia where the imprisonment is completing May 20, yet in Spain it will be June 25… it’s very hard to claim to play competitions once more,” he said.
Fognini, a year ago’s Monte Carlo Masters champion, was additionally tepid on playing matches without observers.
“Would you be able to envision one Grand Slam last without anyone?” said Fognini. “As I would see it’s very troublesome (playing away from plain view) however I comprehend there’s a purpose for that.”